Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Beautiful.

I was holding and playing with my 4 year old.  I let myself  just take the time to look deep into his bright, blue eyes, and he took my breath away.  Without thinking, I exclaimed "god, you are beautiful!"

And then it hit me.  Those eyes of his - that appear blue, but when you really get lost in them show dapples of grey and speckles of green, those eyes that are happy and deep, those gorgeous eyes - those he got from ME.  My eyes reflected back in the eyes of my first-born.

So, maybe that's it.  The reason we have children.  Not only to learn how to love another person unconditionally, to see another person as truly, imperfectly-perfectly beautiful.  But to realize that WE also are truly, and imperfectly-perfectly beautiful, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment